Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
In this role, you will lead and manage the regulatory processes for our cultured meat products. Your responsibilities will include navigating novel food safety regulations, optimizing approval timelines, and adapting to various markets, such as Singapore, Australia, the US, and beyond.
The ideal candidate for this role is a highly effective project manager with a commitment to efficiency and a passion for challenging the status quo. You will thrive in a fast-paced environment where ambiguity is embraced, and you'll be eager to apply your skills to drive the rapid advancement of cultured meat regulation.
The experience/skills you will bring:
- At least 3-6 years of experience managing complex projects across various stakeholders
- A degree in a relevant scientific discipline
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to build deep internal and external relationships built on mutual trust and respect
- Experience in a startup environment, or a desire to work in one, with the ability to navigate ambiguity and adapt to changing circumstances
- Strong interest or competency with technology, including, at a minimum, a high level of understanding of automation opportunities
- Ability to effectively challenge the status quo and drive process improvements
- Previous regulatory exposure is not required, but a willingness to learn and adapt essential
- Develop and manage project plans for regulatory approval processes for cultured meat products, ensuring timely and successful completion
- Ensure adherence to existing food safety regulations and guidelines, and where this does not exist help to develop and execute on potential new regulations/standards
- Assist in the preparation and review of novel food approval submissions
- Continuously optimize Vow’s internal regulatory processes through automation & technology, for speed and efficiency, reducing time-to-market
- Coordinate import/export activities, ensuring compliance with international regulations and requirements
- Establish and maintain relationships with external laboratories and service providers, overseeing testing and data generation efforts for regulatory submissions
- Maintain organized and well-documented records of regulatory activities and submissions, demonstrating strong attention to detail
- Proactively challenge established timelines and processes
- Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, presenting complex information in a clear and concise manner
What success looks like:
Within 6 - 12 months you will have taken full ownership of the end-to-end regulatory process across all target markets. The broader team will have a high level of trust in your ability to secure regulatory approval for our products. You will have developed a strong competency in the technical information necessary for your role, including testing methodologies for cultured meat and Vow’s manufacturing bioprocess. Furthermore, you will have significantly reduced the turnaround time for regulatory approvals by leveraging technology at your disposal.
The Past Year in Focus: Notable Projects and Progress
Vow has made significant strides in our approach to regulatory matters. The following list offers a glimpse into some of the exciting projects our current team has already accomplished, providing a taste of the diverse and impactful work you may engage in:
- Organized and facilitated a roundtable discussion on the novel hazards in cultured meat manufacturing between representatives from Food Standards Australia & NZ, Singapore Food Agency and the New South Wales Food Authority.
- Project managed a complex testing schedule across 13 service providers to gather quantitative information for Vow’s novel food applications in ANZ & Singapore.
- Owned a highly critical relationship with Vow’s regulatory science consultants, including delegation of tasks & facilitation of key project meetings.
- Submitted first of a kind novel food applications for Vow’s cultured meat product in Singapore & ANZ.
- Traveled to Singapore to attend regulatory conferences on cultured meat and precision fermentation production.
VOW, MORE THAN JUST A JOB.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-led dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s top scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Blackbird Ventures, Square Peg Capital, Grok Ventures, Tenacious Ventures, P7 Ventures, Toyota Ventures, and PeakBridge VC.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 8 weeks of paid caregiver leave and an additional 8 weeks paid leave for the birth giver.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas team members and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to choose the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited personal leave. At Vow we recognise that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess.
- An awesome converted warehouse “campus” in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, manufacturing line, free snacks, a culinary centre, and professional-grade coffee machine in our cafe, as well as a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply! If not, but you know someone who might be interested, please share this post!