Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
We are looking for a creative, driven, and amazing research scientist or senior scientist with deep expertise in media optimisation to join our expanding team at Vow. You’ll have the opportunity to solve some of the biggest problems currently facing the cultured meat industry.
You will collaborate with high performing scientists, chefs, software engineers and designers to define the links between cell and molecular biology, growth media, materials science and the food produced at the end. You’ll be autonomous and empowered to find better ways to do things.
Our problems are more than just discovery - you will be working in a fast-paced environment on the nexus of automation, data science and biology, growing real products to put in the hands of customers as soon as humanly possible, all without any harm to animals
The experience you bring
- First and foremost, we want you to be committed to excellence. This, and changing the way the world eats is something we take very seriously at Vow. This is a role for someone who believes they could contribute deeply to Vow’s scientific challenges.
- A PhD in a relevant area (cell or molecular biology, developmental biology, cancer biology, regenerative medicine, cellular metabolism, physiology), or 5+ years in a relevant industry role.
- A good understanding of the cell biology, cell signaling, and metabolic pathways involved in proliferation, differentiation and/or maturation of mammalian cells.
- Expertise in development of cell culture media for mammalian cells.
Ideally, you also bring:
- Experience with using or developing high throughput platforms for optimisation of media formulations.
- Experience in bioinformatics and working with large -omic style datasets.
- Experience with using DoE (design of experiments) to solve complex problems, along with an understanding of DoE softwares (e.g. JMP, Mintab).
- Understanding of both suspension and adherent cell lines.
- Experience in leading a team/s.
- Optimize media formulations to maximize the rate of cell division and cell density and help develop a world-class pipeline for development of cell culture media across a wide range of adherent and suspension cell types.
- Contribute strategic scientific ideas for long term data acquisition and analysis.
- Mentor a team of highly motivated, passionate scientists, including early-career scientists in our successful Junior Research Scientist program.
- Collaborate with our team of engineers to solve some of the most challenging scientific problems in new, better and faster ways.
- Collaborate with chefs, food inventors, and product designers to create some of the most amazing food products the world has ever seen!
What success looks like
During your first month you will have successfully integrated yourself into the media optimization work associated with one of Vow’s program teams and you will be leading a project focused on optimizing an FBS-free cell culture media for a novel species and cell type. By the end of the first month you should be able to point to how your work is swinging the pendulum towards success for the program team.
Within three months you will have completed multiple projects and helped make key prioritisation decisions on what work should continue versus what should be terminated. You will have developed key analytical pipelines so that your work is easily reproducible and can be performed quickly and easily by others. You will have discovered strategies to reduce the cost of the media required for producing our product at large scales.
By the end of your first year at Vow you will have helped ensure our first product has been brought to market and that we have multiple additional products ready to go. You will have also helped train and mentor a growing team of scientists and engineers capable of pushing the boundaries of cell biology.
Vow, more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 12 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognise that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Beers" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and professional-grade coffee machine + premium coffee bean subscriptions available for all to use in the cafe, and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.