Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
Vow is looking for a Marketing Lead to join our team in Sydney, where we’re laying the foundations for a house of food brands. This is an incredible opportunity for a generalist marketer with creativity, drive, and a passion for sustainability to build and lead the team that makes this revolution irresistible as we craft a whole new category of food - cultured meat.
You’ll be responsible for working closely with our Product team to execute an effective Go-To-Market strategy for our first product launch in Singapore’s high-end dining market and other subsequent channels for our future pipeline of cultured meat products. You’ll also help lay the groundwork for what marketing looks like at Vow - helping to write the playbook for how we build tribes across our future products and brands, and parent brand.
This role is perfect for someone with a bias towards action, who enjoys getting their hands dirty in all aspects of marketing, from strategy to execution. Most importantly, you’re comfortable with navigating ambiguity and thinking from first principles, excited to build the plane as we fly it.
The experience you will bring:
- Deep knowledge of strategies for customer acquisition, engagement through to conversion and retention.
- Hands on experience with developing go-to-marketing strategies and then executing on these.
- You are a generalist with expertise in two or more of the following areas: content, brand and/or communications strategy, campaign planning and strategy, performance marketing, copywriting/email/blogging, SEO and conversion optimisation, social media management, market research, activations/events.
- Expertise in driving decision making with both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Experience working closely with product teams, making tough tradeoffs and setting strategy. We expect you to jump right in and collaborate continuously with our product managers, designers and food inventors.
- You have hands-on experience leading teams of creative collaborators (e.g. specialist marketers, content producers, brand designers, event planners etc.) to success.
- You’ve helped build product(s) and brand(s) that users love, whilst simultaneously possessing a strong ability to understand deeply what makes people obsessed and why.
- Strong domain expertise in B2C or food products is a plus. Ideally you have hands-on experience working in growth-stage startups.
- Exposure to the Singaporean market, or previous experience living in Singapore, is a plus.
- Support our first product launch. Later this year, we will bring the world’s first cultured meat from an exotic animal to market, and you will be a critical player in leading this to success. You will lead a collaborative of marketers and creatives to generate campaigns, create materials to support business development, plan events and activations, and drive the execution of our content strategy.
- Own product messaging and positioning. We have ambitious goals of creating a whole new category of meat that is deliciously different, better for you and the planet. You will own how we position our first product in market, help define our value proposition and the language we use in marketing material, and in internal communication.
- Partner with our product team. Be a close partner with our product managers, strategic designers, operators and food inventors. You will contribute to our product strategy, how we prioritise development and be a constant advocate for our customers. You will understand our first brand’s funnel better than anyone and drive pricing and packaging decisions for new channels and products.
- Understand our market and customer. We are a customer obsessed team, but you will take this to an entirely new level of understanding. You will help define customer personas, prioritise their biggest challenges, define segments, understand purchasing behaviours and research competing offerings. The team will look to you as the pioneer of customer tribes and communities.
- Enable our go-to-market teams. Support our small, but effective business development and customer success team for a product functioning in a B2B2C model. Identify and deliver assets, events, campaigns to accelerate acquisition, including tasting events and chefs tables. You will drive partnership opportunities.
- Execute in the face of ambiguity. We are moving fast and defining an entirely new category of food, which means we are faced with plenty of uncertainty and ambiguity. It is critical that you are able to balance strategic thinking with rapid execution. You believe in constant progress over perfection.
- Grow our product marketing function. You will be our first true product marketing hire. You will be our first true product marketing hire and will help to build the team culture, define ways of working and recruit future team members.
What success looks like:
In your first month, you’ll rapidly get up to speed on all things Vow, cultured meat, and our first product and brand. From there, you’ll dive straight into supporting our efforts to prepare for launch at the end of the year, getting involved in everything from campaign strategy to event planning and waitlist building. Meanwhile, you will work side by side with our Product team to test, validate and crystallise things like our first product’s value proposition, positioning, customer personas. This may involve traveling to Singapore to conduct customer research and better understand the business opportunities.
By the end of your first year at Vow, you will have:
- Driven the marketing strategy for our first product launch and have a rich pool of data and learnings ready to use and inform subsequent future product releases.
- Built out a digital funnel across multiple channels for both Vow and our first product brand, measuring and iterating upon this according to both qualitative and quantitative metrics.
- Laid the foundations for what product marketing and brand building looks like at Vow, as a future house of brands.
- Create a thriving tribe of fanatical customers around our first product who are on the edge of their seats waiting to see what’s next.
Vow more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 12 weeks primary carer paid parental leave and 4 weeks secondary carer.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognize that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Beers" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and professional-grade coffee machine + premium coffee bean subscriptions available for all to use in the cafe, shower facilities with towel service included and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzer’s to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.