Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
We’re looking for someone who’s passionate, technically-minded, and data savvy to join our Foundry Operations team, a diverse team of scientists, engineers, and operators focused on improving every aspect of our R&D efforts. This interdisciplinary team supports, improves, and maintains the momentum of our incredible R&D spaces, tools, data and experiments.
The ideal candidate is a data-driven, tenacious and talented generalist who can take on any challenge, then find and implement clever solutions. Starting with collaborating with our technology team to understand their current needs, forecast future ones and use this data to foster strong supplier relationships. You don’t mind getting your hands dirty and when you see a problem, you jump in, help out and fix it.
You’ll manage R&D procurement for Vow, including inventory management, dashboarding, and supplier relationships, but we’ll also look to you to identify and proactively address other R&D challenges in collaboration with others on our Foundry Operations team.
If you’re a generalist with a technical side and are eager for the opportunity to create something that’s going to scale immensely and have a huge impact on the production of sustainable food, then this role is for you.
- 1-2 years of relevant lab and / or general operations experience.
- Keen interest in (or prior experience with!) lab operations and broader R&D teams.
- Confidence in using data to create dashboards, reports, forecasting models, etc.
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to challenge and negotiate.
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal capabilities.
- An innate drive to organise things - you're detail oriented and like everything in its place!
- A high ownership mentality. This area of the business will become yours to build.
- A keen interest in sustainability, science and food.
- Bonus: Experience at another hyper-growth startup
- Conduct procurement and inventory management duties for our current (and future!) R&D lab spaces, including day to day purchasing of R&D materials as well as negotiating long-term agreements with suppliers.
- Develop useful dashboards for a wide range of R&D activities using business intelligence tools to surface insights into lab-wide trends, stock usage, and future price negotiations.
- Manage our R&D warehouse, including coordinating storage and tracking, as well as receiving and triaging deliveries.
- Assist in laboratory operations tasks to support the smooth running of the lab where required.
- Continuously improve our approach to purchasing, inventory management, and other lab operations processes to make our R&D work as efficient and impactful as possible for every Vowzer.
- Engage with the rest of the Foundry Operations team on high priority projects as they arise, ranging from data and forecasting analyses to hands-on projects in the lab.
What success looks like:
In the first month, you’ll ramp up on all things Vow and cultured meat and will start to take ownership of our existing procurement and purchasing processes. You’ll also spend time in our lab and other R&D facilities learning more about how we work and our company wide objectives. By the end of this month, you’ll have a clear game plan in place to scale our procurement, purchasing, and inventory systems at Vow as we prepare for a year of massive growth.
Over the next few months, you’ll lead day to day management of all things procurement and purchasing for Vow’s R&D. You’ll negotiate new deals with our suppliers and will create efficient processes internally to help us better forecast and manage all of the R&D equipment and inventory. You’ll continuously work to automate and improve these processes - success will entail minimising the amount of day to day time you spend on this work so that you can begin to invest your efforts in building out BI and data capabilities for Foundry Operations, as well as helping to scale out other lab operations and R&D processes.
Vow, more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 12 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognize that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess.
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Beers" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and professional-grade coffee machine + premium coffee bean subscriptions available for all to use in the cafe, shower facilities with towel service included and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.