Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
We’re looking for a thoughtful, passionate, and motivated Head of People who is excited to take Vow into our next stage of growth. This includes taking responsibility for scaling our brilliant team of Vowzers from ~55 into triple figures and, just as importantly, building out and developing our culture and processes with it. We’ll look to you to serve as a cultural foundation at Vow, building a high-performing, caring team of Vowzers who can achieve our mission and live out our company values day to day.
The experience you will bring:
- Experience in a lead people (e.g., talent, HR, culture) role within a high growth business, ideally at a tech startup, in which you played a critical role in growing the headcount, culture & people processes.
- Previous successes in hiring, developing, and retaining high performing teams.
- Knowledge of how to coach and foster a top-notch Talent Acquisition function, ranging from interview best practices to nailing hiring targets.
- Prior experience in efficiently leading start to finish implementation of lightweight and human-centric people and culture processes (e.g., performance cycles, compensation equity and review processes).
- An ability to bring a strategic lense to all things people and a knowledge of implementing systems and processes that make a real impact, are fit for purpose and true to a company’s culture. You have a natural aversion to processes for processes sake.
- Proven track record (and a love for) bringing best practice D, E & I initiatives into past businesses.
- Own development of and execution of our people operations strategy (i.e., strategy and game plan to execute on all things people, culture, and processes).
- Serve as a trusted partner to our founders and other leaders at Vow with regards to all things people and culture.
- Be accountable for hitting our growth targets by managing the Talent Acquisition function and being hands on (when needed). You’ll have the candidate experience top of mind and bring creative thinking for any hard to fill roles.
- Bring a data driven approach for all things growth and people.
- Help us be a leader in diversity, equity, and inclusion by defining our approach and building initiatives around this at Vow.
What success looks like:
In your first month at Vow, you’ll become an expert on all things Vow and will dive into our company’s DNA, culture, and existing people and recruitment processes. You will build meaningful relationships, study our existing people data, and learn from Vowzers on what is great and where we need to grow. You’ll take over management of the existing talent acquisition team and tell us who else you might need in the people team to be successful.
After a few months at Vow, you’ll have our people & talent function running like a well-oiled machine. Vowzers trust you and your process, and the results speak for themselves. Vow will have grown in just one quarter, and you’ll be directly responsible for this.
Over the course of your first year at Vow, not only will the company grow significantly in size, but you’ll also help us to establish more thoughtful approached to growth and development within the company, and will have helped us to evolve our recruitment and people function to ensure that Vow is an increasingly diverse, inclusive, equitable, and overall amazing place to work.
Vow more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 12 weeks primary carer paid parental leave and 4 weeks secondary carer.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognize that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Beers" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and professional-grade coffee machine + premium coffee bean subscriptions available for all to use in the cafe, shower facilities with towel service included and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzer’s to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.