Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
We’re looking for a talented Food inventor who is an incredible, multi-disciplinary creator and has the capacity to learn anything thrown their way but who also shines with expertise in a particular area (like new product development, food science, food processing or material science).
One day a food inventor will be learning the ins and outs of novel extrusion systems, another day testing ingredient compounds and how they contribute to the perfect Maillard reaction, while on another you might be defining the perfect shape and form for our product.
The experience you bring:
- 4+ years in a relevant food discipline, science or product-development role
- Clear and obvious experience creating innovative food products
- A demonstrated track record of facing into, and solving challenging food problems creatively
- A wide understanding of the elements that make food great - including (but not limited to) texture, structure, flavour, nutrition and mouthfeel.
- Experience in (or willingness to) seeking counsel from experts (including ones you’ve never met!)
- Experience thriving in cross-functional teams — your previous teams would rave about you.
- Constantly develop new food prototypes every single week and test them with real customers to get meaningful feedback
- Work side by side with scientists and engineers to develop a pipeline of consumer products that grow Vow’s market share over a multi-year horizon
- Push the boundaries of food beyond traditional products
- Have the freedom to take risks and get creative.
What success looks like:
Thriving at Vow is all about determination to learn new things constantly. You are a genuine team-player that welcomes ambiguity and excels at adapting to new challenges with lots of different skills and perspectives, working together, to produce breakthroughs in food product design.
Great invention, has the power to change the world, and as our food inventor you have this opportunity by being the person directly responsible for creating moments of sensory delight for our customers. Read more about the opportunity in this write-up.
Vow, more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 12 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognize that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Beers" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and professional-grade coffee machine + premium coffee bean subscriptions available for all to use in the cafe, and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.