Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
As a Business Operations (“BizOps”) Associate at Vow, you’ll be our strategy and operations guru and “jack of all trades” who can dive into any challenge, learn quickly, and hit the ground running. You’ll be tasked with ownership of specific ‘discovery’ or operations style projects, all of which are focused around enabling Vow’s goals to launch in multiple markets, scale manufacturing, and to create even more irresistible products that will be loved by consumers around the world. In the past, this role has done everything ranging from building out and managing the end to end submission of our first regulatory submissions, to crafting an ESG strategy and framework, to forecasting and then negotiating our earliest supply chain agreements.
We’re looking for empathetic, structured & creative problem-solvers who love working across teams. We not only do the “sexy strategy” work, but we then dive in, get our hands dirty, and actually execute the job itself. The work you do as a BizOps Associate is always focused on enabling and driving action across different teams at Vow, so you’ll have the chance to engage with all “Vowzers,” ranging from clever PhD scientists, to brilliant mechanical engineers, to our creative food scientists.
The experience/skills you will bring:
- 2+ years of experience working on strategy and operations projects at a high-growth startup, management consulting, or in a similar, fast-paced environment (e.g., legal, finance, engineering).
- A passion for learning and continued growth, and an eagerness to operate and create clarity in ambiguous environments.
- An ability to think strategically and ask the right questions, but have a bias to action and know when to dive in and get shit done.
- Experience with cross-functional project management and amazingly high EQ. You love and thrive in working with others who are different from you.
- Top-notch analytical and research skills.
- Superb time management and prioritisation skills.
Note: you do not need to satisfy 100% of the points listed above. If you have some of the skills and believe you could make an impact in this role, please apply - we want to hear from you!
- Own 'discovery' projects to understand and develop strategies for new functions, processes for Vow.
- Co-manage “programs” - cross-functional teams focused on critical goals for Vow - by functioning as a right-hand partner to senior product managers, manufacturing leaders, and others Vowzers laser-focused on guiding these teams towards our goals.
- Identify areas for improvement across the company (processes, structures, etc) and use data-led approaches to improve their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Guide and/or support the actual execution and ongoing operations of these initiatives (e.g., help with strategy for a new product and then drive go-to-market operations).
What success looks like:
In the first month, you’ll ramp up on all things Vow and cultured meat and will start to own focused discovery or operations projects at Vow. You’ll spend heaps of time being a “sponge” and getting to know people across all teams at Vow, how they operate, and where they need assistance.
Over the next few months, you’ll dive head on into a project focused on our company goals for 2024/25, helping to set a strategy where the critical path is unknown, and helping execute and drive operations forward for activities in flight. In just a few months, you’ll be a critical member of the team that moves the needle at Vow across an exciting part of the business (product, strategy, manufacturing, R&D, etc.).
In your first year at Vow, you’ll be given the opportunity to own your own cross-functional projects, work with amazingly bright people with varying expertises from all around the globe, and will make your mark on this immensely important push towards more sustainable food production.
In the years beyond, you’ll explore and work across various parts of Vow (we call these “tours of duty”) before choosing to become either increasingly specialized, perhaps taking a new role outside of BizOps to build new functions or teams, or to remain nestled within BizOps as a pure generalist.
VOW, MORE THAN JUST A JOB.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-led dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s top scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Blackbird Ventures, Square Peg Capital, Grok Ventures, Tenacious Ventures, P7 Ventures, Toyota Ventures, and PeakBridge VC.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 8 weeks of paid caregiver leave and an additional 8 weeks paid leave for the birth giver.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas team members and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to choose the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited personal leave. At Vow we recognise that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess.
- An awesome converted warehouse “campus” in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, manufacturing line, free snacks, a culinary centre, and professional-grade coffee machine in our cafe, as well as a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.