Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
We’re looking for an experienced Bioprocessing Scientist to join our rapidly growing company, working hands-on in a high-performing, cross-functional team with the goal of developing and transferring scalable processes to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
Our objective is to innovate and support our production platforms through rigorous scientific principles which you will do by leading process improvement and validation activities, technology transfer, implementation of new production processes, technology and equipment as well as mentoring and coaching junior scientists and technicians.
As our Bioprocess Scientist you will have the opportunity to apply and integrate innovation into biologic process sciences to establish Vow as the industry leader in cultured meat manufacturing and support the launch of our first product into various overseas markets.
The experience you will bring:
- Hands-on expertise with scalable bio-production platforms and direct experience with bioreactor use (<10L scale and mammalian cells preferred)
- Prior experience in biomass transfer optimisation and developing new scaling and transfer processes.
- Experience using statistical methods and data analysis tools (e.g., design of experiment (DOE), multivariate data analysis or similar) for optimisation of bioprocess steps.
- Thorough knowledge of scale-up and cGMP manufacturing requirements and facilities.
- Demonstrated track record of procurement and working with vendors.
- Ability to comprehend and execute experiments independently; ability to organise, communicate, analyse, and present experimental data to a diverse audience.
- Track record of meeting and exceeding deadlines by expertly prioritising projects and managing time.
- Strong passion and commitment to integrate science and innovation into process development.
- Experience in food biotech manufacturing is not required, but highly desirable.
- Experience with culture of animal cells in single-cell suspension, on microcarriers and in aggregates is highly desirable.
- Develop clear robust iterative processes capable of maximising yield at benchtop (<10L) scale.
- Contribute to the development of innovative and disruptive technologies for next-generation novel bioreactors and biological manufacturing processes to achieve the highest yields.
- Conduct laboratory-scale and/or pilot-scale studies to support scale-up and tech transfer of processes.
- Scrutinise processes for improvement and scalability, by utilising your background and expertise to establish and optimise new processes to incorporate into our manufacturing pipeline.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several projects, tackling complex problems where analysis of technical data requires an in-depth evaluation of both biology and process.
- Optimise production processes to improve costs, speed and quality.
- Mentor and coach junior scientists and technicians.
- Help manage the transfer of new culture technologies into manufacturing.
What success looks like:
During your first month, you will work side-by-side with our new Head of Manufacturing and existing bioprocess team to learn the ins and outs of our bench top process. By the end of that first month you will take ownership of the end-to-end process of our bench top scale and be training junior scientists and technicians in its use.
Within three months you will have worked closely with our manufacturing and science teams to identify our future bench top needs and will be working with a range of suppliers to procure all of the necessary hardware to support our immediate (and future) bench top needs.
By the end of your first year at Vow you will have established a strong, reproducible bioprocess pipeline that allows for rapid testing, iterating and optimisation of our future products and a bench top scale. You will have also helped train, mentor and grow a team of operators to rapidly drive bioprocess optimisation. Ultimately this pipeline and team will have helped drive our first product to market!
Vow, more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 12 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognise that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Beers" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and professional-grade coffee machine + premium coffee bean subscriptions available for all to use in the cafe, and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.