Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
We’re looking for an experienced Bioprocess Engineer to join our rapidly growing startup.
You will play a key role in scaling our novel process from bench top to pilot and commercial scale, while also working to reduce costs and improve yields, process consistency, and product quality.
As a Bioprocess Engineer will be deeply involved in the design, build, and commission of new manufacturing facilities and equipment. You’ll apply your knowledge of biology and process engineering to build a sustainable new way to produce meat for our planet. You’ll use your technical knowledge and work with a world-class team to stop climate change, preserve our world’s biodiversity for generations to come, and end the unnecessary suffering of animals.
The experience you will bring:
- Bachelor or further education in chemical / biochemical / process engineering, or equivalent experience;
- You have strong working knowledge of larger bioreactors (25L+) and experience selecting, installing, and operating them.
- Prior involvement in the build and commission of a new biomanufacturing facility.
- Experience establishing and working on a biomanufacturing production line.
- Expertise in tech transfer and scale up of bench top to pilot scale manufacturing of biological processes.
- Driving process optimisation and continuous improvement of biomanufacturing.
- Development and implementation of training for line operators and other staff in the technical operation of bioprocessing equipment.
- Experience in food manufacturing is not required, but highly desirable.
- Design, procure, and commission Vow's first biomanufacturing facility at 10 kL+ scales.
- Lead continuous improvement of our biomanufacturing, including for higher quality, reduced cost, higher batch reproducibility.
- Establish and manage successful partnerships and collaborations, including for contract manufacturing.
- Build and utilise cost and techno-economic models to drive cost reductions.
- Own and communicate project management of complex technical projects.
- Mentor junior team members with care, humility, and empathy.
- Build, develop, and lead training for line operators and other staff in the technical operation to strive for operational excellence.
What success looks like:
You design and commission world-class biomanufacturing facilities for Vow with an eye to quality, scale and cost. You work collaboratively across a multidisciplinary team to ensure all key perspectives have been thoughtfully incorporated into the design and smooth running of our manufacturing operations.
You train staff and mentor junior team members for success with a humble leadership style that brings the best out of them. You continuously improve our manufacturing operations to create products that consumers love and trust at an affordable cost.
Vow, more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 12 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognise that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Beers" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and professional-grade coffee machine + premium coffee bean subscriptions available for all to use in the cafe, and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.